Next time I think the council should:
1) plan the event earlier,
2) get the balance of risk between the council and the operator correct,
3) engage with business and sponsors earlier,
4) consider a better location,
5) ensure that english speaking staff are on hand to help skaters,
6) start it on a day that isn't the day all the students go home,
7) consider having a canopy in case it rains,
8) have the rink visable to people as they walk past.
Hopefully lessons will be learned and I am told that an enquiry is to be launched into the handling of the affair by the Lib Dems.