Monday, July 03, 2006

Why aren't election voting papers delivered in the post?

I have received a number of complaints about the delivery of voting cards before election day.

Each year I seem to find more and more people who do not seem to have received their cards.

As I go around in the weeks leading up to election day I discover many cards dumped at the bottoms of blocks of flats and in some cases in the floating about on the road.
I wonder if the process of hand delivering the voting cards is really acceptable today.

Years ago you probably relied on respectable volunteers to hand deliver the cards. Those days are gone though.

Would it not be far better to envelope the cards and post them out to voters? The advantage would be people would be guaranteed (or at least far more likely) to get their voting card paper.

There is the issue of cost but I don’t believe it would be that much more (especially when we were recently considering compulsory postal ballots - and postal votes are delivered in the post).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The deliverer is paid - I believe 12p (I may be wrong!) to deliver each card. A nice earner - especially if they end up blowing down the street!

Jeremy Moulton said...

12p a card is a lot of money. I would guess that easily works out at £10 an hour. A mailsort envelope posted 3rd class (takes up to 7 days) costs approx 15p.

I have had lengthy discussions with the Council about this. They still feel that the hand delivery offers them a more reliable service. They are wary of using the postal service. I am not that convinced.