Monday, June 12, 2006

Pensioners and Free Bus Passes

I went to the Southampton Pensioners' Forum debate this afternoon. This was the second time I have gone and I thoroughly enjoyed it. There were representatives from Labour (Dennis Harryman) and Lib Dems (Jill Baston).

They didn't really ask me many questions and I got off quite lightly. Jill Baston took most of the flak. There was one embarassing moment when I had to admit that I didn't really know who the Older Person's Champion on the Council was or what he/she did or should do. Fortunately most people seemed a bit unclear on the matter.

The main topic of conversation was free bus travel.

Free buses came in in April following funding of £1.5m from central Government to pay for it. (Conservatives had been calling for it for some time).

Pensioners in Southampton can now travel for free within Southampton's boundaries. Unfortunately they can't travel out of Southampton and back again for free.

The Lib Dems blame the Government for botching the free bus pass scheme. Labour blame the Lib Dem Council. The Lib Dems say that the scheme can't be extended until 2008 and requires a change in the law. They are going to review the matter this year.

The truth is they are both right and they are both wrong! The Labour did botch the scheme and that's why they are introducing new legislation for a new scheme in 2008. However the Lib Dems could extend the scheme if it wanted and if they were prepared to shell out and estimated additional £500k -£700k.

Despite campaigning for free travel outside Southampton's boundaries, Labour have not said how they would fund the scheme. Labour and the Lib Dems passed a joint Council budget for the year back in Febraury and there was no money for this. A pretty empty Labour election promise you might say!

My own view is lets look at it, understand how much it might cost and weigh up the scheme against all the other demands on the Council purse. After all in February the Lib / Lab budget agreed cuts of £150k to the home care budget for elderly people needing social services help! Social care for the elderly must surely be a higher priority?

I think Councillors need to be a lot more honest and open with residents and taxpayers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your comments on bus pass,s interesting. in fact the first free pass for pensioners issued by Southampton council in the 1970s at my suggestion limited to use outside of the peak hours ,subsequently modified I believe by your party colleagues regretably.
The present restriction to within the council boundaries have several anomalies particulary with regards Totton visi a via Eastleigh

Alan Reynard (Jaquie Raymonts uncle)
lana.reynard@ntlworld.com

Jeremy Moulton said...

Alan

I am extremely pleased that people as distinguished as yourself are posting on my blog! I was straight on the phone to fellow bloggers to boast.

My understanding was that free buses in Southampton were introduced by a Conservative Council. Certainly during the period that I have been actively involved in politics, Labour Councillors have reduced the subsidy.

My collagues had been campaigning for a return to the free buses for some time and were very happy when the Government announced that it would fund them.