Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Conservative and Labour Budgets Released

Last night the Council released Conservative and Labour budget proposals for the City Council.

Labour are proposing a tax increase of 4.97%. The Council would be capped if it produced a budget over 5% and so this is about as high a tax increase as you can get.

The Conservatives have suggested 1.97%.

I will publish full details of the two budgets when I get a chance.

Two things however which immediately jumped out at me as astonishing in the Labour budget are:

1) They are proposing cutting the care packages budget for elderly people in the City whilst at the same time continuing to fund a trade union post with social services money. This shows the sorts of priorities they have when they choose to fund their union friends over vulnerable elderly people. I think it's quite shocking.

2) They are cutting the amount of money being put into repairing the roads by £180,000, when only recently they supported the borrowing of an additional £18m to address the backlogs of road repairs the City has. That strikes me as total madness.

More to follow on this...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

how can the conservatives have such a low tax and the Lib Dems and Labour always increase tax at above inflation. do these people pay tax. as a tax payer i have seen my tax double in the last 8 years while my wages have not. i can see my self voting conservative again with cameron in charge and low taxation